Sunday, March 28, 2010

Family

Recently I was looking through some Facebook flair and some of the ones for family were really bothering... to me at least. Some say things like "If you met my family, you'd understand" or "FRIENDS: God's way of apologizing for family" and others. As I was reading those it made me very sad but at the same time it made me feel very blessed that my family is wonderful and even though life isn't perfect we still love each other. It is really sad that people just don't appreciate their family as much as they should. Yes, I know that some families have a lot of issues but no matter what the problem is we should still respect our parents and siblings, even if we don't agree on everything. My family is a  larger family and so we all have different ideas, views and such but we all agree on the major subjects such as our faith. So when I see teens and even young kids being disrespectful to their parents it really makes me sad. Especially in churches and when the teens are supposed to be "christian".

One of the Ten Commandments is "Honor your father and mother". So many teens miss that. One definition of honor is: To hold in honor or high respect; revere: to honor one's parents. 

A study note in my Bible says "But what does it mean to honor your parents? Partly, it means speaking well of them and politely to them. It also means acting in a way that shows them courtesy and respect (but not to obey them if this means disobedience to God). It means following their teaching and example of putting God first. Parents have a special place in God's sight. Even those who find it difficult to get along with their parents are still commanded to honor them"


So my challenge today is to make sure that in everything we do to respect and honor our parents but we won't be able to do it on our own. We will need God's help to stay respectful. 


~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment